Gyuto 270mm Matsubara White #1 - Kurouchi, walnut handle
270mm Gyuto chef's knife for real professionals
This Gyuto was forged in traditional handwork by Tanaka-san from the Matsubara forge in Japan. The chef's knife is ground on both sides and has a matte Kurouchi surface. Kurouchi is a special type of surface finish that is not atypical on Japanese knives. The surface is carbonized and therefore black. This blade finish significantly improves the resistance and corrosion resistance of the knife, in addition to creating this rustic aesthetic. The core of the blade is made of White #1 steel. White #1, or Shirogami 1, is a steel made by Hitachi and is extremely popular with Japanese chef's knives, as it brings ideal properties for a sharp blade. The steel (Japanese: Hagane) can be brought to over 65 HRC depending on the hardening process, which allows the blade to be ground very sharp. A layer of softer, non-stainless steel is welded around the blade core using the San Mai method. The softer carbon steel on the blade blade not only protects the inner steel core, but also gives the blade a degree of flexibility.
This kitchen knife can be used for many areas and is the counterpart to the western large chef's knife. The 270mm long blade runs in a large radius to the tip, allowing the knife to roll optimally when cutting. The blade area close to the handle is also suitable for chopping the food, as the blade can rest flat on the cutting board in this area. Coarse cutting work, e.g. of meat or large vegetables, is just as possible as fine cutting of fish, onions and chopping of herbs. The knife is suitable for professional chefs and also ambitious amateur chefs who are looking for an all-purpose knife with a large blade and an unusual but traditional design. The Japanese kitchen knife has a weight of about 267 grams and a total length of about 40cm. The high blade is beneficial when cutting large foods such as pumpkins, cabbage and celeriac.
- Length blade: 270mm
- Height blade: 59mm
- Length handle: 140mm
- Length blade: 419mm
- Weight: 267g
- Handle: walnut wood
- Hardness grade core steel: HRC 63
- Sheath steel: Non-stainless carbon steel
- Blade construction: 3-ply according to the San Mai method
- Double sided grinding of the cutting edge
PRODUCT AN CARE INSTRUCTIONS
- This knife is not suitable for hard cuts such as bones and frozen food.
- These knives should never be put in the dishwasher and must be rinsed and dried by hand after each use to ensure long life.
- If not properly cared for, these blades tend to rust.Regular treatment with oil is also recommended.
- As the knives are handmade, each individual knife is unique.
- This also means that the knives may differ slightly in appearance.