Gyuto 210mm Matsubara ZDP189 - Polished, walnut handle
ZDP-189 Gyuto Knife
This hand-forged gyuto knife by Matsubara is one of the first examples by Tanaka-san with the exceptional ZDP-189 blade steel. The design is rather plain and puristic as the blade surface is polished. The ZDP-189 forms the core steel and thus the cutting edge of the knife. A softer stainless steel was forged around the core steel of ZDP-189 to make the knife less sensitive to rust and to give the extremely hard blade steel a cushioning outer layer. This makes the blade more flexible and better protected against damage. Since the ZDP-189 steel is extremely hard, it is also sharpened to an extremely sharp edge, making it more edge-holding than any other steel on the market. The blade must be handled with care to prevent damage to the blade from blows or levering cutting motions.
This kitchen knife can be used for many areas and is the equivalent of the western chef's knife. The blade runs in a large radius to the tip, this design allows the knife to roll optimally when cutting. The blade area close to the handle is also suitable for chopping the cut material, as the blade can lie flat on the cutting board in this area. Coarse cutting work, e.g. of meat or large vegetables, is just as possible as fine cutting of fish, onions or chopping herbs.
- Length blade: 210mm
- Height blade: 58mm
- Length handle: 131mm
- Length blade: 360mm
- Weight: 195mm
- Handle: Walnut
- Hardness of core steel: 66 HRC Rockwell
- Sheath steel: Stainless steel
- Blade structure: 3-ply according to the San Mai method
PRODUCT AN CARE INSTRUCTIONS
- This knife is not suitable for hard cuts such as bones and frozen food.
- These knives should never be put in the dishwasher and must be rinsed and dried by hand after each use to ensure long life.
- If not properly cared for, these blades tend to rust.Regular treatment with oil is also recommended.
- As the knives are handmade, each individual knife is unique.
- This also means that the knives may differ slightly in appearance.