Funayuki 180mm Ishikawa Shirogami - Kurouchi finished, Urushi purple
Funayuki - The fish knife with all-round qualities
Once, no Japanese fishing boat could be without the Funayuki knife. Thanks to the special shape of the elongated tip, all work involved in cutting fish can be done effortlessly. Fine, precise work such as filleting is just as possible as gutting, cleaning and rough cutting of fish. However, this knife can also be used as an all-purpose knife and cut meat, vegetables and fruit effortlessly.
Please note that these knives have irregularities. These are caused by the traditional Nakaniida manufacturing process and are not a product defect, but intentional. This forging technique consists of 28 processing steps and was adopted from the Katana blade production. The special feature here is that the already cooled blades are shaped further and further by hammering. This manufacturing process is therefore not suitable for mass production, but only for unique pieces that are created purely by hand. This forging technique produces blades that have excellent sharpness and at the same time very high blade flexibility. Even the inexperienced can sharpen these knives very well.
The blade core of this Funayuki is made of White #2 steel. It is a single-edged knife for right-handers. The blade is inserted into the handle at a slight angle. This counteracts "drifting" when cutting.
Apart from the knives of Ishikawa-san, we are not aware of any forges where the Nakaniida technique is still practised.
- Length blade: 185mm
- Height blade: 49mm
- Length handle: 128mm
- Length blade: 330mm
- Weight: 150g
- Colour handle: Urushi purple
- 3-layer blade construction with core of White #2 steel according to San Mai
- Hardness of core steel: 63HRC
- sheath steel made of low stainless steel with Kurouchi finish
PRODUCT AN CARE INSTRUCTIONS
- This knife is not suitable for hard cuts such as bones and frozen food.
- These knives should never be put in the dishwasher and must be rinsed and dried by hand after each use to ensure long life.
- If not properly cared for, these blades tend to rust.Regular treatment with oil is also recommended.
- As the knives are handmade, each individual knife is unique.
- This also means that the knives may differ slightly in appearance.