Gyuto 210mm Matsubara White #1 - Kurouchi Finished, Walnut Handle
- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
A large all-purpose knife with a rustic look from traditional forging
This gyuto was traditionally hand forged by Tanaka-san from the Matsubara Forge in Japan. The chef's knife is sharpened to have a double sided edge and has a matte Kurouchi finish. Kurouchi is a special type of surface finish that is not atypical on Japanese knives. The surface is carbonized and therefore black. This blade finish significantly improves the resistance and corrosion resistance of the knife, in addition to creating this rustic aesthetic. The core of the blade is made of White #1 steel. White #1, or Shirogami 1, is a steel made by Hitachi and is extremely popular with Japanese chef's knives, as it brings ideal properties for a sharp blade. The steel (Japanese: Hagane) can be brought to over 65 HRC depending on the hardening process, which allows the blade to be ground very sharp. A layer of softer, non-stainless steel is welded around the blade core using the San Mai method. The softer carbon steel on the blade not only protects the inner steel core, but also gives the blade a degree of flexibility.
This kitchen knife can be used for many areas and is the equivalent of the western chef's knife. The 210 mm long blade runs in a large radius to the tip, allowing the knife to roll optimally when cutting. The blade area close to the handle is also suitable for chopping the material to be cut, as the blade can rest flat on the cutting board in this area. Coarse cutting work, e.g. of meat or large vegetables, is just as possible as fine cutting of fish, onions and chopping of herbs. The knife is suitable for professional chefs and also amateur chefs who are looking for an all-purpose knife with a large blade and an unusual but traditional design. Despite the weight of about 191 grams, this knife is very agile and allows precise work.
- Length blade: 210mm
- Height blade: 59mm
- Length handle: 134mm
- Length blade: 362mm
- Weight: 191g
- Handle: walnut wood
- Hardness grade core steel: HRC 63
- Sheath steel: Non-stainless carbon steel
- Blade construction: 3-ply according to the San Mai method
- Double sided grinding of the cutting edge
PRODUCT AND CARE INSTRUCTIONS
- This knife is not suitable for hard cuts such as bones and frozen foods.
- These knives should never be placed in the dishwasher and must be hand rinsed and dried after each use for long service life.
- If not properly cared for, these blades tend to rust.
- In addition, regular treatment with oil is recommended.
- Since the knives are handmade, each one is unique. This also means that the knives may differ slightly from each other visually.